Saturday, October 13, 2007

Its like writing on water !

This is an interesting thought which occured to me.. to be more effective in telling the story, I would like to address the subject as 'I' and also because I would like this knowledge to be firmly established in me :-) I heard a talk by Gurudev on love from the Narada Bhakti Sutras where he spoke abt this. Since this is happening to me, I am able to relate to that knowledge very well.

Lately, I have become quite close to one of my friends, it started as an acquitance but soon developed into a nice friendship. we found a common ground to explore and talk about.. and I soon found out the depth of knowledge this person has in that area and it also brought out the best out of me. I could not discuss so passionately about the subject before as I did with this friend. The person gave me an avenue for me to express my own thoughts freely in this area. As days progressed this person only become more wonderful and my best pal.

I am sure this happened to most of us. We meet and talk to so many people.. and some dont even register in our minds, but some do. Something about them captures our attention and the conversations begin. It could be anything, from politics to sports to mythology to spirituality or even about boredom, it doesnt matter. Slowly, we talk about other interests this person has and it amazes us even more. The wealth of experiences and information this person is sharing with us, thrills and excites us so much, cause we never had/heard such things and we also reciprocate our experiences. Its getting better and better. We look forward to talking and meeting this person everyday and enjoy their company. This is exactly what happened with me.

Before I realized, I spoke to this person for extended periods of time and exchanged messages and emails and soon there was an immense amount of respect and love between us. All is so wonderful so far. We all have been there. Now because of some impressions/old-experiences deep down something tells us we are getting 'attached' to this person. Another fall out could be, other friends (who probably also started like the current charm) telling us we are not spending time with them as we used to, or not focussing on work at hand, or something else. Now there is lingering element a guilt element or even fear of losing freedom because we think we got attached.

Now the drama starts, we start acting funny, try to avoid talking or meeting. Not only are we getting worked up and being manipulative, but now the other person also starts feeling that something went wrong!. They come with their own understanding of our behavior. Before long, we find ourself fighting with our own attachment and at the same time trying to be close and natural with the friend. We get caught up in a storm created out of our minds. We do 101 things now with more rigor, meditations, sadhana, that and this, but we find ourselves at the same place.

Gurudev narrates a story here about Mulla Nasruddin. One beautiful evening, Mulla was looking into the sky and tells his friend who was sitting next to him, " I want to buy the moon". The friend sighs and says. " No way". Mulla replies " Why not? " and his friend says with serious tone " Cause I aint selling it to anyone!" LOL !

This is what we do when we try to get rid of 'attachments'. We are trying to sell the moon !. What are we attached to? What do we have that we are trying to get rid of ? "Oh I am getting attached, someone save me", Now Who is this "I" that is getting attached ? Who are you ? and How long will the attachment stay ? Till the next charming person walks through the door !!!

Just looking back into my own life, how many people came and how long was the attachment. It reveals some amazing secrets. And everytime I thought I had an attachment, how I struggled to get rid of it! and what is more funnier than that is thinking "I got rid of the attachment" or "I finally got over that person". This is so hilarious !. Its like saying " I had a tough time but I could finally sell the moon" .. LOL .. I am in splits. :-)

Events in life are writings on water. How long they stay? Before we realize we will be calling it quits from this body. The body and the attachments will be put to sleep, mother Earth will put its restless kid to rest. Lets reduce the work load to our mother by being at rest while alive !

Another interesting analogy was, we get 'attachments' via email. Most of them are spam ('unregistered people' in our minds). Some capture our attention and we browse thru them. Some are more special, we download and save them ( the ones who charm us). We open them often and after sometime that also reduces. New attachemnts ( new charms) come and we look at them and it goes on. To make space for the new ones, we might have to delete the old and not-often-visited ones (breakups, crushes, flings and the likes). All this is being supported by the OS (the mind). To keep the OS quick and sleek, we delete our recycle bins(kriya, satsangs, etc) and once a while we defragment (hollow and empty). At the end of the day, we power the computer down (sleep). After a few years, the computer becomes outdated, so we discard it and get a better one (death and after life). The electric power (vidyut, i remember shiva being praised as 'vidyutyaya cha' from rudram !) which is the energy behind all these computers is the unmanifest supreme consciouness and it shows itself as all these systems.

:-)

Haso aur Hasao, mat phaso mat phasao !

All glories to my Gurudev, the Lord of the universe.

1 comment:

neelam sharma said...

it is very true ! you have expressed it so beautifully ! Applicable to each and everyone !!